Oldham Athletic 2 City 3

Exeter City FC News
Authored by Exeter City FC News
Posted Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 10:46am

Grecians fight back to claim all three points at Boundary Park!

A Jayden Stockley hat-trick gave Exeter City all three points away from home at Oldham Athletic in Sky Bet League Two.

A tough first half saw Athletic go ahead through Sam Surridge's header before Stockley levelled things going into the break.

Callum Lang then put the hosts back in front just after half-time, but a powerful left footed finish from Stockley made the score 2-2. The striker then got the winner with a well taken header from Lee Holmes' cross.

Manager Matt Taylor named an unchanged starting 11 to the side that sealed a 1-0 win over Crewe Alexandra last weekend at St James Park.

The opening minutes saw both sides try their luck from distance with Lee Martin looking to continue from where he left off last weekend, but his effort went over, as did Lang’s shot following a City deflection.

The home side then found themselves in front on 12 minutes when Oldham worked it well on the right before Tom Hamer crossed to the far post for Surridge to head home from close range.

Lang almost doubled Athletic’s lead soon after when he cut in from the left before firing a low effort just wide of Christy Pym’s left-hand post.

Lang then had another chance for Oldham on 23 minutes when he arrived at the far post from a deep cross, but his effort flashed across goal and somehow went behind as the Grecians endured a tough opening period.

Pierce Sweeney then had an attempt for City shortly after when a corner fell to him at the back post, and after controlling well, his effort could only find the side netting.

As the half wore on the Grecians seemed to improve in retaining possession, and they created a good chance when Holmes threaded the ball through to Jake Taylor in the Oldham box, but his effort was well saved by Daniel Iverson.

That preceded the Grecians’ leveller when Nicky Law’s corner found Stockley at the near post and his flicked header found the far corner to make the score 1-1 on 38 minutes.

Both sides traded more half chances going into the break, but credit to City who battled back to ensure the sides were level at half-time.

For the full match report click HERE

Share this