Match report: Exeter City 3 Walsall 3

Exeter City battled back from three goals down to earn a point at home to Walsall.

The Grecians had a poor opening half hour of the match where an own goal from Pierce Sweeney, a strike from Caolan Lavery and a header from Josh Gordon had them three-nil down after half an hour. However, they showed great resolve to pull the tie back to 3-2 before half-time and then equalised in the second half through Lee Martin.

Manager Matt Taylor made three changes to the City line-up as Lee Martin, Jack Sparkes and Nicky Law came into the side at the expense of Jake Taylor, Tom Parkes and Alex Fisher. Dean Moxey also captained the side on what was his 300th appearance in a City shirt.

The game did not start well for City though as they were penned back early on by Walsall who took the lead after 12 minutes. The opening goal came from a cross to the far post that was half cleared allowing Dan Scarr to fizz a low ball into the six-yard box which deflected off Pierce Sweeney on its way into the back of the net.

Worse was to follow five minutes later as Aaron Martin, looking to deal with a routine high ball, slipped at the vital moment allowing Caolan Lavery to race in on goal and place a shot beyond Jonny Maxted and into the far corner of the net.

Dean Moxey was then forced off through injury after 27 minutes to be replaced by Tom Parkes. City tried to respond with a shot from Jack Sparkes which whistled over the crossbar and a header from Randell Williams that was well saved by Liam Roberts but then Josh Gordon headed home a simple chance at the back post to put the visitors well and truly in control of the match after half an hour.

City did pull a goal back two minutes later though when substitute Tom Parkes headed against the post, allowing Ryan Bowman to rifle a shot into the roof of the net. The comeback was then on eight minutes later as Bowman latched onto a Williams through-ball and fired a superb finish into the bottom corner to make it 3-2.

The Grecians then almost completed the comeback before half-time when Bowman jinked himself into a yard of space in the box only to see his strike from eight yards out superbly blocked by Scarr.

For the complete match report click HERE

Share this