Cheltenham Town 1 Exeter City 1

Exeter City FC News
Authored by Exeter City FC News
Posted Sunday, April 7, 2019 - 1:06am

Exeter City picked up a hard-earned point in controversial circumstances against Cheltenham Town. 

The Grecians had looked in control of the match early in the second half, having been given a lead at the break through Dean Moxey’s pinpoint strike.

However, Cheltenham were then awarded a dubious penalty for a collision between City keeper Christy Pym and striker Luke Varney to level the scores. And then to make matters worse Pym, having been booked for giving away the penalty, was then shown a second yellow card deep into injury time for pushing Billy Waters as he attempted to stop the keeper from taking a goal kick quickly.  

City manager Matt Taylor rang the changes last weekend’s 4-1 defeat to Mansfield Town, with Ryan Bowman, Archie Collins, Troy Brown and Pierce Sweeney coming into the side for Hiram Boateng, Dara O’Shea, Lee Holmes and Donovan Wilson. 

The game started at a frantic pace with both teams struggling to keep hold of possession in midfield. However, it was Cheltenham who went close early on as Chris Clements had an effort from the edge of the area before Kevin Dawson, scorer of two early goals when the side met at the Jonny Rocks Stadium early last season, dragging an effort across goal and wide.

City always carried a threat though and when Matt Jay did superbly well to spring the offside trap he was slightly unfortunate to see his shot from inside the box whistle past the post.

Then just past the half-hour mark Ryan Broom had a shot blocked from inside the box, by Troy Brown, before Waters reacted to the rebound to bring out a comfortable save from Pym. 

Moments later Ryan Bowman looped a header onto the roof of the net, from a Kane Wilson cross before the Grecians took the lead on 35 minutes. 

The goal came from a corner, that was half cleared, and Craig Woodman found Moxey with a neat ball to the edge of the box and he worked the ball onto his left foot before arrowing a shot into the bottom corner through a crowd of players.  

However, the match was only eight minutes into the second half when the home side were given a controversial way back into the match as Pym came and punched clear under challenge from Luke Varney.  

Read the full match report here

Share this