Exeter City remain top of the table

Exeter City kept their great start to the season going as they recorded 3-1 win away at Forest Green Rovers.

The Grecians were 2-0 up after 17 minutes with Pierce Sweeney and Reuben Reid finding the back of the net and then added a third, again through Reid, early in the second half.

It was a match they controlled for large parts, with superb performances by Jake Taylor and Lee Holmes on either side of midfield but the hosts gave them a nervy ending to the match as Shamir Mullings fired home with 16 minutes to play but in truth a well-organised City side never looked like surrendering the advantage.

Paul Tisdale named the same side that came through the hard fought 1-0 win over Newport County AFC last weekend at St James Park, and Dean Moxey was involved in his first matchday squad after recovering from an injury that had kept him out of the beginning of the season.

The Grecians got off to the best possible start as they took the lead just after three minutes. A Lee Holmes corner wasn’t dealt with by the Rovers defence as the ball came back into the box from Troy Brown, and an unmarked Pierce Sweeney swept the ball home for his first City goal.

Minutes later, the home side had a good chance to level things when Christian Doidge found space in the Grecians’ box, but for an important interception from Jordan Tillson which prevented him getting a shot away.

Doidge was then in again when he broke down the right-hand side, and with only Pym to beat, the City goalkeeper stood firm to block the striker’s effort from close range.

But as the rain began to pour on the City fans in the unsheltered away area, it failed to dampen their spirits, particularly when Reuben Reid gave the Grecians a two-goal cushion on 17 minutes.

After a brilliant run down the right from Holmes, who went past three Rovers defenders, before his cross rebounded to Reid who side footed home coolly to claim his fifth goal of the season.

Full match report https://bit.ly/2xYBcPl