The Grecians claim a well earned three points

Exeter City FC News's picture
Authored by Exeter City FC News
Posted Saturday, February 2, 2019 - 8:10pm

Two goals from Nicky Law either side of Jake Taylor's strike earned Exeter City a 3-1 win over MK Dons at St James Park.

The City number 8 struck early before captain Taylor furthered City's lead inside 20 minutes. The away side got back into the game through Joe Walsh just after half-time before Law then got his second when a mix up in the Dons' back line saw him finish from close range.

City boss Matt Taylor made one change to the side that overcame Cambridge United at the Park on Saturday, with Craig Woodman replacing Kane Wilson, who dropped to the bench. Deadline day loanee Donovan Wilson, signed from Wolves until the end of the season, made his first appearance in the matchday squad – also on the bench.

The Grecians started the game with a pulsating intensity; Lee Martin’s cross was headed away just as Jonathan Forte threatened to meet it, before Archie Collins’ deflected effort – worked after a short corner routine – hit a defender and went out for a corner.

And Exeter’s dominance of the opening minutes would pay dividends – Forte’s header across goal was met by Law from no more than six yards out and the City man made no mistake from close range after just eight minutes.

The visitors were spurned into life having gone a goal down, and their first real attack resulted in a chance for David Wheeler but his header flew well over Christy Pym’s crossbar.

But it would be City who would score next when skipper Jake Taylor collected the ball on the edge of the Dons’ box and fired a measured finish past visiting goalkeeper Lee Nicholls to double the Grecians’ lead after 18 minutes.

A superb through ball from Dara O’Shea then would have released Forte, but for the linesman’s flag being raised against the City forward. It could have been three just after the half-hour mark as some superb interplay between Forte and Law led to another chance for the latter, but his fiercely struck shot was saved by Nicholls.

For the full match report click HERE