If you are no stranger to muscle tension, this article is for you. We’ll talk about why you get muscle cramps and easy & quick ways to get rid of them.
Why do you get muscle cramps?
There are a number of potential causes of a muscle cramp ranging from dehydration, muscle strain, overuse of a muscle, or static position for a long period. Although usually, muscle cramps are harmless, however, some may be related to an underlying medical condition, such as nerve compression and mineral depletion.
- Nerve compression in your spine. The pain gets worse to the point that you find it hard to walk. You also get an inadequate blood supply because arteries are narrowed. The process of delivering blood to your legs is faulty, and you feel cramp-like pain in your legs and feet while exercising.
- Mineral depletion. An insufficient level of minerals like potassium, calcium or magnesium in your diet is also a contribution to leg cramps.
What are the risk factors?
There are four of them:
- Certain medical conditions.
What can help to ease muscle cramps?
Vitamins and minerals
- B Vitamins, especially B12 and B3. Vitamin B3 (Niacin) supports muscle growth. Vitamin B12 aids your body to produce red blood cells, which take responsibility for delivering oxygen to the muscles.
- Vitamin D. People with regular and severe muscle pain or spasms might be deficient in Vitamin D. The vitamin comes in many forms like tinctures, tablets, and capsules. You can also get it from foods like fortified milk, fish, and eggs. Another way, probably the easiest, is to get Vitamin D from sunlight exposure.
- Vitamin E. This is a powerful antioxidant that protects cells from damage. It keeps a cell from spilling its contents and controls everything that moves in and out.
Magnesium. The mineral maintains normal muscle function and nerve state. The earliest symptoms in people who are deficient in this mineral include muscle pain. Bananas, legumes, almonds, and brown rice are foods rich in magnesium. This mineral is also available in supplement and oil forms. However, magnesium oil is not actually an oil. It is magnesium chloride which has the ability to dissolve in a liquid (usually in water) that has an oily feel when used on the skin. Applying this oil to the skin is a transdermal delivery method, which allows the mineral to enter the bloodstream faster and start working on the affected area. Magnesium oil health benefits include:
- Increased energy levels and improved moods
- Increased athletic performance
- Sleep improvement
- Reduced DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)
- Reduced muscle pains, aches, cramping, and spasms
- Healthy skin and reduced outbreaks of psoriasis and eczema
- Better relaxation and stress management.
Spice and drinks
- Cayenne pepper. Capsaicin found in cayenne pepper is considered a natural muscle relaxant. It’s often recommended to people with fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. You know that cayenne pepper is added to food, but you can also find it in a capsule form and as a cream or lotion. The topicals can be applied to areas affected by muscle spasms.
- Camomile tea. This herb has been used to deal with a whole range of ailments, including muscle spasms. Camomile contains 30+ flavonoids – compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties. You can also try to massage camomile essential oil onto affected muscles and provide relief from spasms.
- Cherry juice. Treat yourself with a cup of cherry juice which can help combat inflammation and muscle pain. There are studies that reveal that drinking tart cherry juice can minimise post-run pain. All the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities in the fruit help to relax muscles naturally.
CBD (cannabidiol) is an active substance derived from the cannabis plant and is used for relief from chronic pain, anxiety and sleeping disorders. While you can simply apply cream infused with CBD to provide target relief for a particular body part, it might also be a good idea to try out CBD bath products like VAAY CBD bath bomb to relieve sore muscles and experience a whole-body effect. Such products can help to reduce inflammation, lower swelling and pain, as well as soothe and heal the affected areas through the open pores of your skin. However, make sure to opt for proven CBD brands such as VAAY to be sure you use both safe and effective products that will provide a positive experience after CBD treatment.