Motorhome Travel in Europe Post Brexit

Claire Small
Authored by Claire Small
Posted Thursday, February 18, 2021 - 3:17pm

Motorhome holidays can be a great way to explore and enjoy freedom with your vacations and many people have purchased a motorhome in the last year due to the COVID-19 restrictions. For many people, they will be planning to travel in Europe in their motorhome when restrictions have eased and it is easy to see why with places like France, Spain and Norway being ideal for motorhome holidays. However, it is vital that motorhome owners are aware of how Brexit will impact their trip so read on for all that you need to know.

More Changes Likely

Motorhome insurance specialists Comfort Insurance recently outlined what will change as a result of Brexit and, while it should not be too challenging, it is vital that people are aware of what has changed now that we have left the EU. Additionally, it is important to note that there are likely to be further changes over time so you should always check for any developments when planning your trip.


First, you need to make sure that you have a passport which has at least 6 months left and is less than 10 years old to be valid. New rules state that as a tourist with a valid UK passport, you can stay in most countries for up to 90 days (in any 180-day period) without a visa.


In terms of insurance, you will want to arrange appropriate travel insurance with sufficient healthcare before setting off as you will have no NHS protection overseas. You will also want to arrange sufficient motorhome insurance, which will ensure that you are covered if you encounter any issues like a breakdown, theft or accident. For your motorhome insurance to be valid in Europe, you will need to carry a copy of a Green Card - this is a standard document proving that you have the minimum motor insurance required in Europe (many policies will include a Green Card as standard).

Other Important Changes

One change which is likely to impact motorhome owners is that you can no longer bring any products containing meat or milk into EU countries, so you will need to make sure that you only pack permitted foods and buy the rest on your travels. There is also no guarantee of free mobile phone roaming in the EU, but there is a law in place to protect you from data charges above £45. For pet owners, there is good news in that you can still bring them but you will need around a month to get everything sorted, including any vaccinations and to arrange an Animal Health Certificate (AHC).

As you can see, there are some key changes but nothing that should cause too much disruption to your trip.


Share this