Details of the inaugural Salcombe ‘Live’ music and comedy festival have been released. Starting on Friday 11th October and running until Sunday 13th October 2019, this free weekend of live entertainment will bring together famous faces from the world of folk, Americana, jazz and blues music, alongside a smattering of stand-up comedy artists, and entertainers.
Set to be a huge draw for music fans with a love of Salcombe - South Devon’s chic tidal town, renowned for its celebrity residents, pretty beaches, boutique shops, pubs, restaurants and hotels - the festival is expected to be a big hit with couples looking for an upbeat autumn break with a difference.
Over 35 live performances will be held in venues across the town, including The Kings Arms, The Fortescue Inn, Salcombe Harbour Hotel, Island Street Bar & Grill, Sailor V, The Victoria Inn and Dick & Wills restaurant.
The rich and varied musical acts, many of which regularly feature on BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 6 Music, include the critically-acclaimed Americana artist Hannah White with her new band The Nordic Connections, Cornish singer/songwriter Joe Francis with his band Winter Mountain, indie-folk quartet Velvet & Stone, Glastonbury-based folk rocker Nick Parker, Totnesian husband and wife duo Harbottle & Jonas, and independent artist, songwriter, session musician and producer, Lisbee Stainton.
In addition, The Distillery Bar at Salcombe Gin will host a fantastic evening of comedy on Saturday 12th October featuring - fresh from his UK tour ‘Comedian and Choirboy’ - Lloyd Griffiths, presenter of Sky TVs ‘Soccer AM’ and a regular on TV shows including ‘8 out of 10 cats’. He’ll be joined by Irish stand-up comedian Joanne McNally, a regular on ‘The Late, Late Show’, Kiwi comedian Jarred Christmas, known for his appearances on ‘Mock the Week’, ‘Russel Howard’s Good News’ and ‘Never Mind the Buzzcocks’, and compere for the night, stand-up comedian Luke Honoratty.
The festival concludes with an event-finale show at the Holy Trinity Church on Sunday 13th October featuring the extraordinary Irish folk singer, Cara Dillon. Described by Mojo magazine as having "Quite possibly the world's most beautiful female voice", Cara has been captivating audiences and achieving exceptional acclaim for over 20 years, and occupies an enviable position at the very top of her genre. This is the only show at the festival that is ticketed.
Commenting on the launch of Salcombe Live, Andy Jones (Salcombe TIC Treasurer and member of the organising committee), said: “Entry to all shows over the weekend (other than ‘Cara Dillon’ at the church) is free of charge thanks to the fantastic support of our main sponsors – Salcombe Holiday Homes and Salcombe TIC – as well as other partners including Coast & Country Cottages, Ohjay Creative, Blue River Cottages and Kingsbridge and Salcombe Chamber of Commerce.”
Deb Ward, Manager of Salcombe TIC, commented: “Salcombe is such a beautiful coastal location, and the perfect setting for a fantastic new festival that brings an eclectic mix of exceptional artists from the world of music, comedy and entertainment together in our enchanting corner of South Hams.
“Salcombe has always been known for its beguiling beaches, superb food, drink and accommodation, and now we’re adding a fabulous festival filled with live music and entertainment to that heady mix.”
Deb added: “Salcombe is undoubtedly one of the most popular coastal destinations in the UK, but even here things are quieter in early October. Salcombe Live brings a whole new dimension to an early October break, offering three days of free, back-to-back entertainment. With comparatively low accommodation prices at this time of year, we’re expecting the festival to generate a huge amount of interest from visitors across the UK and beyond. The festival should bring a real buzz to the town and a great vibe for all those lucky enough to take a break outside the traditional school holidays.”
For full festival details, or to book tickets for the Cara Dillon finale show on Sunday 13th October, visit https://www.salcombe-live.co.uk
For information on local accommodation, visit www.salcombeinformation.co.uk
Where to stay
- Salcombe Shepherd Huts have 4 shepherd huts available for October 11th-14th, costing £200-£250 for 2 adults and sleeping up to 4. The huts have stunning views of the estuary and surrounding countryside, with easy access to Salcombe 2 miles away, and with a bus route and cycle/footpath 300m from site.
- South Sands Hotel, located on the secluded South Sands beach, just a five minute drive from Salcombe town, has double rooms available from just £165.00 per room per night, including full English breakfast for two.
- Ilton Farm Campsite has camping and caravan pitches available for October 11th to 14th. Electric hookup costs £17/night and camping pitches are available from £12-£15/night. Bus route and cycle/foot path within 300m of site. The site is within an easy and safe walk to Salcombe, with stunning views of Kingsbridge/Salcombe Estuary.
- Whinfield Bed & Breakfast is offering double ensuite rooms (Superkingsize bed) inclusive of a continental breakfast between 11th and 14th October, just ten minutes’ walk to the majority of the live gig venues. Room rates start from £90 per night.
- Parkland Caravan Camping Site is offering pitches for tents, motorhomes and caravans, with a special offer of £40.00 per pitch for two nights (11th and 12th October), based on two people only with free electric hook-up.
- Higher Rew Campsite is offering 2 nights for £30 including electric hook-up for a tent, camper van or caravan.
- 29 Church Street, a cottages for six, arriving on Friday 11th and departing Monday 14th October, is available from £425.00. The cottage includes bed linen, water, electricity and gas. This pretty cottage is located close to several of the live gigs and comes with views over the estuary. www.salcombecottage.co.uk/01788 860724;
- Luxury holiday homes sleeping from 4 to 12 guests are available through Salcombe Finest. Arriving Friday 11th October and departing Monday 14th October, each have stunning views over the Salcombe estuary. Hygge - sleeps 4, priced at £1,035, The Lofthouse - sleeps 6, priced at £1,190, 1, The Strand - sleeps 8, priced at £1,050, Smugglers - sleeps 9, priced at £1,120, 10, Buckley Street - sleeps 8, priced at £1,120, Watch Hill - sleeps 11, priced at £1,365, Harbour Watch - sleeps 12, priced at £2,650, Underbecks - sleeps 12, priced at £1,855, Cable Cottage - sleeps 9, priced at £2,100. www.salcombefinest.com
- Rooms for two, including bed and breakfast, are available from £130 per night staying in at the award winning 5 star Brightham House Boutique B&B, including a famous Salcombe G&T each on arrival.
- One-bedroom apartments are available at Ocean Reach arriving Friday 11th October, departing Monday 14th October, costing £305. Ocean Reach is a short distance from Salcombe set on the cliff tops of Bolberry Down with panoramic views. Plenty of parking! Restaurant/ bar onsite. www.oceanreachholidays.co.uk